Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Global Entrepreneurship Week at ZSEM and beyond


November 14th through the 20th, celebrates the theme of entrepreneurship around the world.  Students, teachers, practitioners and the general public get some increased exposure of the entrepreneurs past, present and future in impacting our lives.

Every year I have students conduct an interview with an entrepreneur.  These one on one sessions which I encourage to be face to face is one of the easier, straight forward assignments in the array
of tools used to teach the course.  But the exchange is not as impactful as it could be if it happens between 2 people and it is not shared.  I get so much joy out of seeing the dialog exchanges and the wisdom, honesty and reality checks most entrepreneurs provide to the students.  Every year I try to have the post-interview sharing with peers be a little different.  Some years its a poster session, some years its live entrepreneurs like show and tell and this year its all about the video presentations.

As of Monday, the start of GEW there are now over 60 videos posted by students on our event Youtube page and on the Vimeo playlist also created.  The levels of creativity, technical ability and storytelling vary greatly.  But I appreciate the full range of ideas that are behind the creations so its the process not just the product that I will recognize and in teaching terms I must grade.  There are some who planned in advance with a clear vision and were able to execute; there were others who kept it to a clean and simple story and format and resulted in a standout; there were others inspired or intimidated by the technology who pushed themselves out of their comfort zone or retreated to an online template transfer of ppt to video.  There are some who are not satisfied with the work they did either because they are perfectionist or because they started late and don't want to be compared to their peers.  Any way you slice it, entrepreneurs were celebrated and students engaged in some facet of being entrepreneurial themselves in the process.  If we were able to do this in conjunction with a global initiative then that is just the cherry on top.

I also made a submission and I showed them the process...with a simple powerpoint, research I added music, posted and played in front of an audience 4 times, got feedback, retooled and reposted.  I gave them permission to one up the professor and some took that challenge and soared in their own unique vision of the assignment.  There are many more who will need to learn how to take feedback without getting defensive and learn the lifelong lesson "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

To learn more about Global Entrepreneurship Week, please visit www.unleashingideas.org
You can check out all the activities registered for each of the 123 countries participating.  

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, it was for sure helpful and fun for me to see what did other students do regarding their interview. Some of the videos are really inspiring, and when I saw them, I was kind of proud to be a ZSEM student. I got some really god ideas, but in some videos I saw what not to do as well. Anyway, it will be much more easier for me now to write my business plan, and I'm much more inspired and motivated now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen and react now!
    I saw that Entrepreneurship can be exciting and interesting. In some videos I saw entrepreneurs actually followed their dreams, and also they like the challenge. 
    Entrepreneurship is for them more than just working for themselfs, it is about working hard, being creative and flexible in any situation.
    Some inspiring videos I have seen on YouTube, make me realize that there is no real barriers to a good idea if really want to accomplish something and be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This videos were really good. Good experience for us to see how others are thinking. Entrepreneurship is exciting and in some ways make dreams to come true. If you have good idea it always way to make that idea to come true.

    I saw all kinds of videos from students really good ones, some not so brilliant but the most important is for me that I can learn from each of them.
    Something for life, business plan, our own business. Ideas and opportunities make us stronger and stronger by every day.

    It is great to see how others are making and working whit all different kinds of business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this amazing site for us. I really think that all the videos and ideas there are brilliant. It's such a great experience to only read and see some of the ideas posted. Entrepreneurship is very important for everyone and it teaches us how to pursue our dreams and ideas.

    There are some really good videos and students that have new innovative ideas. Some of the ideas are more interesting to me than others.

    Its nice to see how others create and work hard and it makes us do just the same. It keeps us all going forward. I think its been amazing week for all of them and at the same time for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all of videos posted on provided Youtube page that I saw, were simple and brilliant ideas and unique dreams that came true. But to be an entrepreneur, dreams and ideas are not enough. You must also work hard, love what you do and never give up. Only then, when all of parameters are met you can “reap what you sown”.
    But the most important thing that caught my attention in these videos is similarity of ideas but executed and styled in different ways. There always will be similar ideas, but what makes them unique are the ways they are implemented and the creativity of the people who make them.

    ReplyDelete

Future Entrepreneurs

Teaching in higher education in Croatia for almost 20 years, I have mostly been in the private sector.  But I am happy when learners re...