Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Flip Book

Right now I am working on a book for High School students to get passionate about themselves, their ideas and the possibilities of an entrepreneurial future.  This is fun but challenging.  I keep thinking of myself at their age. As a mother of two kids, 7 and 11, I know how important it is to tell the story using the right language and emphasis to have it be understood by different age levels or better yet stage levels. The age I hope to reach is the elusive teenager.  Coming into their own this group is not quite a child and not yet an adult (sounding an awful lot like a Britney Spears song just about now).  So I am doing my research.  I met with a focus group of my target market and their teacher.  It was a frightening experience as its not the college crowd I have been around for the past 14 years, its the would be freshmen.

I really loved being that age.  It had a lot of drama and excitement.  We had our own real life soap operas going on.  Crazy weekend parties when various parents went out of town; stress of what college to apply to as we prepared to take our SAT tests, this is just one weekend I can recall.  But squeezed into that teen world of yesteryear, we also did find time to have a part-time job and do volunteer work.  This is not the reality of today's youth and their are not so many opportunities to find work let alone have it encouraged in Croatia.  This leads to an increasing importance of the theme of entrepreneurship.  Being able to push thinking and action to a new level, to go beyond what is currently accepted and see things and manifest things in new ways.

The best hope is for students to come with some kind of passion for some interest/hobby that connects them to the world around them.  From this passion could be the seed that starts them on the journey to building their future instead of waiting for it to happen.  The book we are creating will flip stories that students are familiar with and retell them with an entrepreneurial twist.  Once we have acknowledgement that the book will be published we can reveal more but for now I can just give some real life examples of people turning their passions into businesses.  Once such case is that of Ketra Oberlander, a blind painter who started Art of Possibility Studios http://www.aopstudios.com/index.php which is a cooperative of talented illustrators, graphic designers and artists who also happen to be choosing to emphasize what they can do rather than what they can't. Be inspired.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u








    Picture Flipbook

    ReplyDelete

Future Entrepreneurs

Teaching in higher education in Croatia for almost 20 years, I have mostly been in the private sector.  But I am happy when learners re...